Motor Vehicle Inspection Requirements
for Passenger Vehicles Only
- Individuals with vehicles registered in New Orleans, Kenner or
Westwego cannot have their vehicle inspected at a state inspection station.
These individuals should contact their city government.
- All vehicles registered in the parishes of Ascension, East
Baton Rouge, Iberville, Livingston, and West Baton Rouge must be inspected
in one of those same five (5) parishes.
- The cost for an inspection in the above listed five (5) parishes will be: $18.00 (Tax shall not be charged)
- The cost for an inspection in all other parishes will be: $10.00 (Tax shall not be charged)
- Driver must present:
- Valid driverís license
- Current vehicle registration
- Current valid insurance
- All items to be inspected are required equipment and must operate correctly.
This equipment may not present a safety hazard.
- The vehicle must be test driven to inspect the following items:
- Brakes - The vehicle shall be driven at 20 MPH and the brakes applied slowly.
- Mirrors, outside and inside rearview
- Seat Belts
- Steering Mechanism - Must be original type steering wheel with no excessive play, binding, or tightness
- Floor Pan - No holes or rusted area are allowed in the passenger compartment
- Parking Brakes
- Other items which must be inspected are as follows:
- Headlamps - Maximum Overall Height: 5' 4" Minimum Height: 24"
- Parking Lamps - May emit white or amber colored light only.
- Turn Indicator Lamps - Front - May emit white or amber colored light only.
- Turn Indicator Lamps - Rear - May emit red or amber colored light only. Lens cannot be broken and no
white light may be allowed to show to the rear of the vehicle. Must have original type lens. No tape allowed.
- Tail Lamps - May emit red colored light only. Lens cannot be broken and no white
light may be allowed to show to the rear of the vehicle. Must have original type lens. No tape allowed.
Maximum Height: 72" Minimum Height: 15"
- Stop Lamps - May emit red colored light only. Lens cannot be broken and no white light may be allowed to
show to the rear of the vehicle. Must have original type lens. No tape allowed.
- High Mount Brake Lamp - Must have at least 4 1/2" of exposed red light. Cannot be obscured
by any aftermarket item.
- Back-up Lamps - Must emit white colored light only when the vehicle is placed in reverse gear.
- License Plate Lamp
- Overhead Lights - Aftermarket lights installed on the roof of a vehicle or on a roll bar
intended for off-road use must be covered at all times on streets and highways.
- Windshield Wipers
- Windshield Washers - Vehicles six years old or older are exempt.
- Acute Area (directly in the driverís line of vision) - cannot have any cracks and no more
than 2 stars, nicks, chips, bull's-eyes, or half moons in excess of 1/2".
- Critical Area (area other than the acute area which is cleaned by the normal sweep of the
windshield wiper blades on the driverís side only) - cannot have any star larger than 2" in diameter, 2 or more
stars larger than 1 1/2" in diameter, or 2 or more cracks which extend more than 8".
- Sunscreening and Glass Coating
- Windshield - no more than 5" from the top of the windshield and must be transparent. Cannot be red
or amber in color.
- Front Side Windows - must have at least 40% light transmission
- Side Windows - must have at least 25% light transmission
- Rearmost Glass - must have at least 12% light transmission
- All window tint must be checked with approved light meter and no sunscreen
may have more than a 20% light reflectance.
- Body and Sheet Metal
- Fenders - Tire cannot extend more than 1" beyond fenders.
- Doors and Windows
- Hood Latch
- Wheels and Tires - Must have at least 2/32" of tread measured in any 2 adjacent
major grooves. No knots, bulges, sidewall cracks or tread exposure allowed.
- Suspension and Shock Absorbers
- Exhaust System - No excessive noise, smoke or fumes
- Emission Items
- A visual inspection must be conducted on the following items:
- 1980-1983 Passenger cars and light trucks
- Catalytic Converter
- Air Injection System
- PCV Valve
- EGR Valve
- Choke System
- Thermostatic Air Intake System
- 1984 and later passenger cars and light trucks
- All of the above as well as:
- Oxygen Sensor
- Special items to be inspected are as follows:
- The above special items must be inspected for the five parish area of Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Iberville,
Livingston, and West Baton Rouge